|Silk: Series 1|
For rival barristers Martha Costello (Maxine Peake, Shameless)and Clive Reader (Rupert Penry-Jones, MI-5),that means winning cases in their pursuit of both justice and "taking silk" -- being the sole barrister from their chamber to be appointed a Queen's Counsel (QC) and thus earning the right to wear the coveted silk robes that QCs wear in Court.
For competing barrister-in training pupils Nick Slade (Tom Hughes, Page Eight)and Niamh Cranitch (Natalie Dormer, The Tudors),it means proving they have what it takes to be both a full-fledged barrister and the lone pupil selected as a member of chambers.
Other cast members include Alex Jennings (The State Within)as Head of Chambers Alan Cowdrey QC, and Neil Stuke (Reggie Perrin)as Senior Clerk of Chambers Billy Lamb.
In a piece in The Telegraph, Moffat said this about his series:
"I wanted Silk to be full of politics and intrigue. From my experience at the Bar, I felt life in chambers had all of those components, with big stories and lots of courtroom drama – but I wanted to make it as much about barristers and their life in chambers as about the trials... I wanted to make sure that every big case, every trial in every episode, brings with it a really meaty, complex ethical or moral dilemma, which will affect the barristers in their professional and even personal lives."Sounds like a winner, yes?
The six hour-long episodes of Silk: Series 1will air in three two-hour-long installments on PBS. Silk debuts on PBS' Masterpiece: Mystery! on Sunday, 25 August, at 9PM Eastern. (Check your local listings.)
UPDATE: If you missed Silk on telly, watch aired episodes on the PBS website.
- PBS Brings The Hollow Crown to the U.S.
- Downton Abbey: Series 4: Full-Length Trailer
- Confirmed: Death Comes to Pemberley Coming to PBS
- Sherlock: Series 3 News & Series 4 Confirmed!
- Mr. Selfridge: Season 2 Confirmed for MASTERPIECE on PBS
- ITV and MASTERPIECE Co-Producing New Drama "Breathless"
- All-Star Cast for "Death Comes to Pemberley"
- "The Paradise" Premieres on PBS This Autumn
- Award-Winning Drama "Last Tango in Halifax" to Debut in U.S. on PBS
- "Foyle's War: Series VII" Premieres This Fall